September 2, 2012

The Sympathetic Hangover

As some of you know, I went out with the girls last night to celebrate mom's 60th birthday. I didn't know when I was driving to Greenwood exactly what the night would bring, however I had a pretty good idea. After all, I'm no Spring Chicken, and this isn't our first girl's night out.

As the designated driver for the birthday girl, I knew I would probably not have quite as much uninhibited fun as the others, but I'd also do anything for my mom, so out I went. I caught up with them at a Pub off Southport Rd and I-65 which had the only requirement they were looking for; a big dance floor. Now, the dance floor and I aren't really friendly with each other, although we do share a mutual respect. It promises not to make me the center of attention, I promised not to trip and fall on it.

I nursed my Sprite and watched the others dance to the DJ's choice... what I can only describe as loud, obnoxious music. Time went on, the dance floor slowly filled up and I eventually snuck out onto it. I did the "side to side step" in a rough, ever changing circle with girls and later, the Electric Slide —which is the one dance step that's burned into every adult female's muscle memory over the age of 30. The only reason I mention my attempt at dancing, is because at the time, I was also wearing my brand new 3" heels. As a woman with natural height, I don't often have cause or the inclination to wear such absurd shoes. Shoes that make you use muscles in your body that haven't been used in a very long time.

The time came for mom and I to head home, and I can assure you that I performed my job as the DD with great care. :) With mom tucked away, I came home and for the first time in months, didn't need to take a sleeping pill to fall asleep. I remember thinking, I had done it! I had went out for the first time in... well, I can't tell you how long. I recalled many similar nights out, in which I wasn't the designated driver, and imagined how the others would be feeling in the morning. This is where the mind starts to get confused. As I slept, I dreamt about the activities of evening. That I didn't enjoy a single alcoholic beverage apparently didn't seemed to matter.

This morning when I awoke — ok, this afternoon, when I awoke, I felt exactly as I had went to bed imagining the others would feel. I was exhausted and couldn't think clearly. My body hurt in places it shouldn't. I could barely put one foot in front of the other to hobble across the room. The fact that I had slept until noon and later learned that the birthday girl was up at 8am cooking lunch for the family should have embarrassed me. Of course it didn't, and in reality, it only proved how strong sympathetic feelings can change you mentally as well as physically. It also says a great deal about the strength and resilience of my mother... but that's for another blog entry.

This sympathetic hangover has given me all the evidence I need to try to stop sympathizing with people. It's apparently very impact-full... No, just kidding. It's really taught me just how important having sympathy for others is. To imagine dancing in their shoes for a night, and what it takes to get them through whatever obstacles come their way. This specific lesson, is one I've been working on for years. The ability to connect with others emotionally and let your guards down. This morning was a great reminder for me, and I'll never be too old or too young to go out with my mom. Some say, let them eat cake. I say let there be dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment